Design, identification, regulation
The following resources contain standards and regulatory information about accessible parking bays:
- Australian Standard AS 1428.1 2009 “Design for access and mobility Part 1. General requirements for access – new building work”. Standards Australia (www.standards.org.au) – publication is available for purchase.
- Australian Standard AS/NZS 2890.6 2009 “Parking facilities Part 6. Off-street parking for people with disabilities”. Standards Australia (www.standards.org.au) – publication is available for purchase.
- Guidelines on the Applications of the Premises Standards Version 2, Australian Human Rights Commission (humanrights.gov.au)
- Disability (Access to Premises – Buildings) Standards 2010, Federal Register of Legislation (legislation.gov.au)
- National Construction Code NCC 2019 Amendment 1, Australian Building Codes Board (abcb.gov.au)
- Road Traffic Code 2000, Government of Western Australia (legislation.wa.gov.au)
- Local Government (Parking for People with Disabilities) Regulations 2014, Government of Western Australia (legislation.wa.gov.au)
Report a problem with an ACROD Parking bay
If the ACROD Parking Bay is on public property, please contact the relevant local government to advise of your concern.
If the ACROD Parking Bay is on private property (for example, at a shopping centre), please contact the property owner or management to advise of your concern.
If you are unsatisfied with the response to your concern, you may be able to make a complaint under the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (Cmwth). Complaints about restricted access, design and number of ACROD Parking Bays, can be made to the Australian Human Rights Commission (www.humanrights.gov.au), phone 1300 656 419.