Individual Eligibility Criteria
An ACROD Parking Permit may be issued to an applicant:
- who is unable to walk and always requires the use of a wheelchair; or
- whose ability to walk is severely restricted by a permanent disability or medical condition; or
- whose ability to walk is severely restricted by a temporary disability or medical condition.
The ACROD Parking Program deems a severe walking restriction to apply to a person who:
- walks less than 60 meters before stopping; and/or
- has a very poor gait pattern; and/or
- uses a complex walking aid; and/or
- experiences a significant health impact from walking less than 100 meters.
Please note that applicants with sensory, cognitive, intellectual or psychiatric impairment alone do not meet the eligibility criteria. The eligibility criteria are strictly based upon a person’s ability to walk.
Organisation Eligibility Criteria
An ACROD Parking Permit may be issued to an organisation that regularly transports people with severe walking restrictions. An ACROD Parking Permit can only be used by staff and volunteers when transporting an eligible person who is exiting or entering the vehicle.
Please note: many people who require support may have, or be eligible to apply for, an individual ACROD Parking Permit. The ACROD Parking Program encourages organisations transporting people on an individual basis to use the individuals own permit.
The Hon. Stephen Dawson MLC, Minister for Disability Services, has announced in February 2020 that the State Government will undertake a review of the eligibility criteria for an ACROD Parking Permit in Western Australia.
The Department of Communities is undertaking a review to explore the potential to expand the program’s eligibility criteria, to include more people who require access to bays with specific dimensions or proximity. During the review survey feedback was received from:
- people with disability and/or medical conditions
- carers, family members, support workers
- community service providers
- taxi service providers.
The received responses will be used to inform the development of the Review.
If you would like more information about the ACROD Eligibility Review, please contact Communities via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.